Friday, February 10, 2012

Training is over

Well, today marked our last day of training. This time tomorrow, we'll officially be a team. Today's routes were more relaxed than what we've previously done. We went to a park and did a brief walk on a paved path, after that we went to a mall and practiced some escalators and working Lenore through doorways. I also got to have coffee with my trainer at Starbucks, and enjoyed that a lot! We broused through an REI, and some other stores to practice narrow aisles and building work, and finally went back to campus in the van. In the afternoon, we practiced for graduation tomorrow and were given our binders with our dog's vet information and things like access laws. The highlight of the day for me came when I talked to one of the instructors in our group who'd been in class with Lenore before when she didn't match with the other person. She told me what a little rockstar Lenore was, and how happy she was to see her going home with me. She said that she just loved the energy that the two of us had together, and that Lenore acted like a "Mama dog," because she just tried to take care of everyone! She said that the other person didn't need a dog at that time in his life, he needed some education about dogs and Lenore gave him that, so he gained something from her, too. Even though he didn't do what was needed for her, she still tried hard to work hard and always held up her end of the bargin. THe instructor said that so many people on this campus know and respect my dog for all her hard work, and that they're all so glad she's going somewhere where she'll be loved and cherrished. She certainly does have that "Mama dog," quality about her, and I know she'll take care of me, and I'll hold up my end of the bargin as well! I just love this dog so much! She's so special and I hope I can give her all she deserves! I'm so glad that so many of the staff here know and like her as well, everywhere we go on this campus someone's always saying, Oh, you have Lenore! I know they'll miss her here, and she'll miss them. She spent a long time here waiting to be matched, and the instructor I spoke to today said she was just waiting for me. I think she's right! Tomorrow, we graduate! Lenore's a pro at graduation already, a couple of classes ago, she was the dog that the instructors brought out to show the audience briefly how guide dogs work and what a guide dog can do. I'm told she did great at that, and now, she graduates and starts her new life with me. I hope she'll be OK, and wish I could tell her that though her world's about to be turned up side down, it'll all be worth it in the end. That's about all I have for tonight! I'll write and tell you all about the actual graduation tomorrow !

No comments:

Post a Comment