Monday, February 6, 2012

Dogs have sick days, too

Hi Everyone! I'll start with the events of yesterday. Basically, yesterday was a day off, so no training took place. I relaxed, ate way to much brunch, and went out for a couple of beers with a classmate to watch the superbowl. We had fun, and it was really nice to have a day of rest, after all, that's what Sunday was made for, right? :) This morning, I went outside to relieve my dog at 7 as usual. We were standing in the hallway, when her eyes and face started to swell up. We took a look at her, and my instructor concluded that she'd had an alergic reaction to something, probably a spider bite. We drugged her up to bring the swelling down, but the shot we gave her made her very sleepy, so she couldn't work much at all today. Instead, we went into Portland with the rest of the group, and I had some good snuggle time with her on the beanbag in our lounge this morning while she slept. We were curled up together and actually both fell asleep for a little while. In the afternoon, I worked with my instructor on some little things, like my positioning when I direct my dog to the left. My instructor held the harness, and pretended to be Lenore, and off we went. Working with her this way was actually really productive and a good use of time while my girl rested back at the lounge. When we got back to campus, Lenore began to feel better, the swelling was drastically reduced, and she was feeling much less sleepy. We decided to practice positioning her under plane seats, we have some here that an airline donated to the school for practice. She did very well at this, and I was proud of her. After dinner, everyone went out on a night route, and Lenore was feeling much, much better and behaving like her old self. She clearly wanted to go, so we decided to take her and see how she felt. I took out my harness and she jumped into it, so we decided that she was ready to walk a short route. We walked her for a couple of blocks and she absolutely loved it! She walked so fast I had to concintrate on slowing her down at one point. My instructor said she was really hapy, wagging and wiggling. I could tell she loved being in that harness, too. Now, she's had her last pills of the evening, and the swelling has gone. I was really worried about her this morning, but she seems to have recovered just fine. We'll watch her, but assuming she still continues to do well, she should be back to business tomorrow. I asked whether dogs get sick pay, and everyone laughed. Tomorrow, I think we have vet consultations, and do traffic work. Not sure what else tomorrow holds, but I'm going to have some coco and go to bed, so I'm ready for it. Thanks, as always for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment