Thursday, February 2, 2012

Training, day three

So today was day three of training. Today we worked our usual route to Starbucks twice in the morning,and worke inside a grocery store in the afternoon. Lenore did great work every time, and I'm getting good at reading and following her. She is so fluid in her movements, and is easy to follow because I am able to feel her movements and read where she is taking me. She did great in the grocery store and was able to follow my class supervisor who worked with me when he told me where to turn. The way for following has changed a bit since the last time I was here. Now instead of telling the dog to simply, "follow," the person who I'm following is supposed to walk ahead of me and tell me when we're about to make a right or left turn, so that I can direct Lenore accordingly. If you will be working on this with me, I'll let you know in more detail exactly how to do it! :) When we got back to campus we were given the go ahead from our instructors to work our dogs in the building. This means that we can now put our dogs in harness when we go out to relieve them, as well as when we go to dinner, and do other things in the campus building. This is wonderful, as it means that we don't have to juggle dogs and canes every time we want to get something done. After dinner, I cuddled with my girl for a long time on the beanbag chair. She climbed on top of me and got silly, but was able to quickly calm herself down and just fall asleep. I just love this little lady! She is a great worker and companion for me and my lifestyle. There's been this instant chemistry between us that I haven't experienced with any of my other guides. I loved Jimmy, but he never really liked cuddling as much as she does. He wasn't a huge one for just lying down and being petted after a hard day of work, and he didn't like being petted in harness after doing something good like she does. I think the cuddling and petting really help with our bond and also help us be able to read each other when we're working as a team, and I'm so glad I have a dog who loves being petted and thrives on it both at work and at play. I am very lucky to have her! Now, she's sacked out in bed and I'm heading that way as well. The training experience really takes it out of me, but in a good and productive way! I hope things are going well for everyone! Thanks for reading tonight's installment!

No comments:

Post a Comment