Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Training, day 7

Well, I can't believe we're on the homestretch of class now! We've only really got Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday left at this point, and I'm hoping to make as much out of them as I can! Today, we did our traffic route in the morning, which Lenore did great on! She stopped and reacted appropriately at every traffic check the instructors gave her, I was really happy with her work! After that, we had our vet checks. Lenore was a healthy puppy, she did need some alergy medication at the puppy home in Colorado, but was taken off the medication once she got to Oregon. The vet said that she was alergic to something in the climate in Colorado, which wasn't in the Oregon climate. We're hoping that she will be OK in DC as well, though I plan to follow up with my vet in Arlington once I get home to make sure that there aren't any concerns that she sees. Speaking of alergies, Lenore had to take it easy this afternoon, because her swelling came back a bit. She took some pills, and the swelling's now completely gone. The vet wasn't worried about this, he explained to me that sometimes dogs still have a bit of the alergin in their systems for a day or so after something like a spider bite. She has her last doce of pills in the morning, and that should be the end of it. This afternoon I heeled her and did sighted guide with my instructor around a sidewalkless area just to get a feel for how this kind of travel would be done. I was sorry I couldn't work her through this, but my instructor didn't think it was a big deal. We also heeled around a parking lot by a petstore so that I could work on good heeling position and corrections. My instructor showed me how to correct her in a way which will let me gain control of her, but also not look bad to the public. My instructor is great, she's very concious of how much I have to interact with the public on a daily basis and has really helped me prepare for that in many ways. Tonight, we had some pork for dinner, I went back, snuggled witht he girl on the beanbag, and ended my evening with a relaxing bath! That's about all for me tonight. Bed comes early, because the day starts at 6:30. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment