Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Training, day 1

So our first day of training in Portland was today. We did some basic routes, worked in a mall a bit so that Lenore would have a destination, and worked a lot with mechanics of turns, street crossings, etc. I loved the way she felt when we were walking together, she was fast, but not to fast for me. It was such a liberating feeling to have a dog by my side again. I'd forgotten how hard these past few months have been and how slowly I've been doing things with out a dog. Today, for the first time in a long, long time, I felt great about crossing streets, going around obsticles, and trusting my dog. She did a wonderful jub at the up curbs and also weaving around pedestrians, things on the sidewalks, and dog distractions. Tomorrow, I think we work on more of the same, and perhaps do some more complex routes. When we got back to campus, I groomed her and we cuddled on this beanbag chair that I have in my room. I think we were both tired from the day because we fell asleep together for an hour or so until someone knocked on my door to summon us to dinner. It was the cutest thing ever, and something that I think we both enjoyed! I found out from my class supervisor that Lenore was in class with another person for about a week a couple of classes ago, but the individual decided that the guide dog life style wasn't for him, and opted to return her. One of the instructors said that it was like they'd special ordered her for me, and so far, I'd have to agree. She is such a cute, affectionate, and lovable little dog, and I can't believe that anyone could decide that they didn't want her, though I'm glad that he did because she was here waiting for me. That's about all I have for tonight. Bed comes early for both of us, because we're up at about 6:30 or so and start with breakfast at 7. I hope you're all doing well, and thanks, as always for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment