Saturday, January 21, 2012

Dog number 4

Well, I'm back, and pleased to report that I will be heading to GDB's Oregon campus next Sunday, 1/29/2012, to train with my new guide.
After some thought, I decided to keep my training experiences together in one blog. The reasons I decided to do this were so I could quickly and easily look through and compare class experiences, and also so those who are new to the blog this time round could see both experiences side by side.
I am going to be in class for two weeks this time around, in a completely unfamiliar setting which I am excited and terrified about, depending on what moment you catch me in. I am certainly up for the challenge, and looking forward to the adventure. It will be strange being away from everyone and everything I know, last time, I was in San Rafael, so not far from people I know in San Francisco and Silicon Valley. I also had some familiarity with San Francisco, the airport, Bart, etc, so wasn't especially worried about training there. This time it's a different ballgame, I've never been to Portland, don't really know anyone there, or what to expect in terms of the training area or environment.
In many ways, I feel that this is a good thing, as it will let me truly bond with my dog with out the distraction of friends visiting, me wanting to catch up with people while I'm in the bay area, and me constantly comparing this to when I got Jimmy in the same place. This will really be a chance for me to start with a clean slate, in a different environment, and a different place, which I'm ready for. The uncertainty of the unknown is greater this time, but all in all, this is a good thing. I know that the school will take great care of me, and that they will give me a wonderful dog.
The class is also smaller this time, with six students and three instructors, which is good because the instructor student ratio allows for a more individualized training experience.
As I did last time, I'll try and update this every day with my training experience. Come with me on my journey to Oregon and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment